Fairness Moyana, Hwange Correspondent
A 63-year-old Hwange grandmother whose house was razed to the ground following a fire which destroyed all her belongings leaving her homeless is appealing for assistance.
Gogo Catherine Moyo managed to whisk her two grandchildren to safety after her house in Empumalanga (DRC) was gutted by fire following an electrical fault in one of the bedrooms on 14 August.
According to Gogo Moyo, she was alerted of the fire by her five-year-old grandson while she was sweeping the yard at around 7am.
“I quickly rushed into the house to find the spare bedroom engulfed in flames and for a moment my heart sank on the thought of my other grandchild having been burnt to death.”
In the aftermath of the ordeal Gogo Moyo together with her grandchildren are now homeless and her family has no clothes.
“Those interested to assist can contact me on 0772262246 or hand them over at the DA’s office.”
Hwange District Administrator who is also the chairperson of the District Civil Protection Unit Mr Simon Muleya confirmed receiving the SOS and urged stakeholders to respond to the humanitarian need.