Mehluli Sibanda, Senior Sports Reporter
THE annual Khumbulani Moyo-sponsored New Year’s Day Inyathi football tournament final will resume this afternoon at Badala Business Centre after it was disrupted by rain last Sunday.
Heavy rains which pounded Inyathi last Sunday left the pitch waterlogged which saw the final between Shooting Stars and Black Swallows abandoned with 15 minutes played. At that stage, Shooting Stars, the team where former Highlanders striker Prince Dube started off his career while at Somvubu High School were already leading their local rivals 2-0.
Moyo said an agreement had been reached that the final resumes with 15 minutes played and the score line at the time maintained. In addition, the two teams have to field the same players who were on the field of play when the match was abandoned.
“The final will resume on Sunday from 15 minutes with Shooting Stars leading Black Swallows 2-0. We have also kept the team sheets to make sure that no one brings a different team. This is the first time that we have had the final abandoned because of a waterlogged pitch since the tournament started in 2013,’’ Moyo said.
With Moyo, a South Africa-based businessman having returned to the neighbouring country last Tuesday, his younger brother Mphilisi will present the prizes on his behalf.
A full playing uniform made up of tops, shorts and socks as well as monetary prizes are in store for the winners of the tournament. The other teams will also receive financial rewards as well as soccer balls. Moyo put in a total sponsorship package of $2 000 this year and expressed his joy with the response from the Inyathi community.
Swallows defeated last year’s winners Bubi 5-4 on penalties after the two teams were deadlocked 1-1 in 90 minutes in the first semi-final while Stars beat Best 1-0 in the second last four clash of the day. -@Mdawini_29