Manhunt launched after 6 killed in Mpumalanga shooting

by Sunday News Online | Sunday, Oct 15, 2017 | 456 views

police

Mbombela — A manhunt has been launched for suspects who shot and killed six people at Steyn informal settlement on Thursday, police said.

Mpumalanga police spokesperson Brigadier Leonard Hlathi said the police were looking for four suspects who mercilessly killed six people near Ogies.

Hlathi said, at around 19:00 on Thursday four men arrived at an informal settlement, mainly occupied by Lesotho nationals.

The men inquired about someone who killed one of their relatives who was staying in Rietspruit near Kriel.

“The people, who said they did not know who killed the mentioned man, were then shot at,” said Hlathi.

Four people died at the scene while the other two died at hospital. The suspects were apparently driving in a white Toyota Quantum minibus.

Hlathi has urged community members who might have information about the suspects to contact detective warrant officer John Mothupi on 0826041340.

The incident mirrors a similar mass shooting in Marikana informal settlement in Philippi, Cape Town last week, where 11 people were killed in alleged gang fighting.

Police arrested eight people in that case whom they believe were the “kingpins” in the ongoing shootings, that led to about 300 people storming the police station to demand action.

However, Mbalula had to release the five due to a case of wrongful arrest, which drew criticism from many quarters.

A further ten who had been arrested, eight of whom were pictured lying handcuffed on the road on Mbalula’s Twitter account, were also then released. —News 24

>
Like it? Share it!