MULTI-TALENTED city socialite Babongile Sikhonjwa has refuted rumours that his two-year-old engagement to wife to be Nanji-Taswa Banda had come to an end, saying people had taken a few his social media jokes a little too far.
The popular funnyman and radio host sparked a social media frenzy last week when he announced that he was once again a single man, leading some to question what had happened to his proposed union with Banda.
Sikhonjwa proposed to Banda during his 40th birthday party in 2016, popping the question in front of 200 people who had joined him on a joy ride in what was Bulawayo’s first ever train party at the time. Although no date had been set for a wedding, Sikhonjwa at the time had made it clear that popping the big question was long overdue.
“I’m now 40 and I think it’s about time I settled down. I have had a child with my fiancé and we’ve been together for the past six years, it was long overdue,” he said.
Last week it seemed to have all come crashing down, after the socialite posted cryptic messages that suggested that things were not well between him and Banda.
“(Babongile Sikhonjwa) is now single. Seliphendukile iBachelor elidala,” he posted on his Facebook wall.
When Sunday Life contacted him for comment on how his relationship had come to an end, Sikhonjwa said his followers had allowed one of his jokes to get the better of them.
“It was just a joke. I posted that as a joke but things started to go south and that’s why I had to pull it down,” he said.
The post no longer appears on Sikhonjwa’s Facebook wall, with the Vuka Vuka presenter saying the only thing standing between him and the altar are finances.
“There’s no wedding date yet. We’re just putting together money for the big event for now,” he said.