LATEST: Decomposing ritual murder body to stay six months more in mortuary

14 May, 2018 - 07:05 0 Views
LATEST: Decomposing ritual murder body to stay six months more in mortuary Honest Moyo, the alleged murderer

The Sunday News

Honest Moyo, the alleged murderer

Honest Moyo, the alleged murderer

Richard Muponde,  Plumtree Correspondent

THE body of a mentally ill man, whose head was decapitated in a suspected ritual murder still has more time decomposing in the mortuary as hospital authorities have to wait for another six months before giving it a paupers’ burial.

The body, which is an advanced state of decomposition, was still stuck at the Gwanda provincial hospital eleven months after he was killed.

Mduna, as he was popularly known to the Colleen Bawn community, was allegedly killed by Honest Moyo (21) of Garanyemba, Gwanda district, in June last year who went on to decapitate him and cut off his testicles.

Moyo was later arrested in possession of the body parts that he had stuffed in a bag and took them to his home in Mawane village.

Gwanda Provincial Hospital Superintendent, Dr Purgy Chimberengwa, confirmed that the decomposing body would take long to be buried and it was still at the health institution’s mortuary.

“I can confirm that the body of a mental patient who was allegedly killed last year in Colleen Bawn is still in our mortuary. We are still to bury it as we have to wait for about six months after an application to accord a pauper’s burial,” said Dr Chimberengwa.

The health institution applied to the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare for a pauper’s burial in February this year and was likely to be buried in August.

Moyo, who was employed at Crystal Block farm in Colleen Bawn as a herd boy, allegedly waylaid Mduna at Colleen Bawn dumpsite on June 20 last year.

He allegedly killed Mduna, decapitated him and cut off his testicles before burying the body in a shallow grave.

The matter came to light after his cousin, Mr Thandolwenkosi Ndlovu found Moyo shaving the decapitated head in a kitchen at his mother’s homestead.

A terrified Mr Ndlovu bolted out of the kitchen with Moyo in hot pursuit allegedly threatening to kill him.

Ndlovu alerted other villagers who apprehended Moyo and handed him to the police.

On his arrest, Moyo, who is presently in remand prison, said he had been sent by a Zvishavane based businessman to harvest the body parts in return for a $25 000 payment.


Share This: